Saturday, March 17, 2007

"Free Time"

Another week has passed. I think I am finally getting a little better at pediatrics. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have had half as many patients. It is much easier to keep up with 2 general peds patients a day than 3-4 cardiac patients. Instead of getting to the hospital between 5-5:30am, I can get there at 6am and still finish seeing my patients without too much difficulty. Our attending was so nice as to give us one day off this weekend too. We were originally scheduled to work 12 days in a row, but we agreed to double up and see the other med student's patients on one weekend day. I worked today so I should have the day off tomorrow. That means I will be able to go to breaking of bread in the morning and then have the afternoon "free." True free time in medical school is really a rarity. In addition to the hospital work, we are supposed to keep up with all our own studying, develop presentations, and do patient writeups. In other words, you are free from hospital work to study some more.

I did take a few minutes off this afternoon though to work on my bagpiping. I figured the afternoon was the time of day when my neighbors would be least disturbed by my practicing. With my earplugs in to protect my hearing, the volume is still loud. Hopefully when I go to outpatient pediatrics, I will be able to learn a few more new songs for my neighbors. A few weeks ago, someone was complaining that my blog did not have any Dallas pictures on it, so today I finally erased some pictures from off the camera and will try to put up some photos from around here.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

A book for all that free time:
"Stiff-The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach

burndive said...

Bagpipes are awesome!

They're not for me, though. Too impersonal. I can't imagine playing an instrument that required earplugs for everyone in the viscinity. I think I need to learn guitar.

TK said...

Bethany, unfortunately all non-required reading has essentially been dropped for the past three years.

Does anyone know of a good place to get Christian bagpipe sheetmusic?

Kimberly said...

I think when people said there were no Texas pictures they meant they wanted pictures of you. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

you could always show us pics of the neighborhood

TK said...

You don't need me to take pictures of my neighborhood. You can just watch the daily news reports on crime.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that is true Trevor. I am glad you hung out with Cabe on his bday!