Saturday, October 25, 2008

Israel (Day 10)

4/12/08 We left Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee and headed for the Jordan River baptism site at Yardenit. The water was very dirty looking and contained many unclean fish. The verses of Jesus’ baptism were posted in multiple languages at the site. After four people from the group were baptized, we drove to Beit-Shean/Scyhthopolis. The told us it would be an impressive archeological site, but I was more than impressed with what has been excavated so far. Its location is at the juncture of the Jordan and Jezreel valleys and it has been occupied for much of human history. Most of the buildings were well preserved but many pillars were damaged in an earthquake. From the site, we were able to see Gilead. We continued to drive south past Mt. Gilboa and Jericho. We were less than one mile from the Jordan River, the border between Israel and Jordan. We stopped at Qumran and saw the caves were the dead sea scrolls were discovered. They were spread out through many caves in the rugged hillside. We kept going down to the Dead Sea where we would spend the night. I believe this is the lowest place on earth, at several hundred feet below sea level. That evening, I went down to the Dead Sea and went for a float. I was surprised at how easy it was to float. I had been assuming I would need to use a little bit of effort. I used a rock to help with balance. The water was warm and I could see crystallized salt everywhere. There was a boat attached to some steel poles. The poles had about six inches of sold salt surrounding them. The salt water certainly made any wounds or sores uncomfortable. I was able to pick some rocks up off the bottom of the sea. They were covered with crystallized salt. I brought them back to the US, but many of the larger crystals were knocked off.

The baptism site at Yardenit on the Jordan River. They had these verses posted in thirty to forty different languages. This one kind of caught my eye.


I think they actually dam up the river so there is enough water for baptisms. The pastor on our bus was only willing to baptize believers who had not be baptized before. As you can tell, the water doesn't look so clean. I can understand why Naman wasn't so keen on dipping in here.



An early Roman bathroom at Beit-Shean/Scyhthopolis. You can see the drain where the water flowed. It was probably cleaner than most of the gas stations we stop at these days.


Standing on the Tel overlooking Beit-Shean/Scyhthopolis. According to 1 Samuel 31, this where the Philistines fastened the bodies of Saul and his three sons after defeating them at the battle on Mt. Gilboa. Some remains of the walls of a fortress of the time of King David and Solomon is seen here too. Gideon also went to a brook nearby here for people to drink. This place has many impressive structures including bathhouses, a larger public theater, and public latrines. I can only imagine what it looked like back then.


I have some more pictures of Qumran and the Dead Sea. They will be in my next post.

No comments: