Thursday, June 18, 2009

Time for a Break

As you might have gathered from the frequency of posts on this site, internship kept me pretty busy. You would think that as the year went on, I would become more efficient and there might be more free time, but that didn't seem to be the case. It also seems like the most complicated patients from a medical, social, and ethical standpoint also came at the end of the year. This week I wrapped up most of the loose ends from my internship. I don't know if I will have a lot more discharge summaries to do in my career, but I can't imagine any of them being as long as some of the ones I dictated in my internship. My parking sticker was returned along with my ID badge. I think the best part was turning in my pager. I can still remember the first few times that it went off this year and there seemed to be some kind of excitement. As the year wore on though, it turned more into dread. A cross cover page or code blue at 4am is never fun. Overall it was a good experience and one that has given me many memories.

With most of my internship wrapped up, I headed up to Canada for a few days before starting my ophthalmology residency. Given that it is the end of June, I figured I would get some good weather. Today, I think the high was about 60F and there was a light breeze and drizzle. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little better. I can't complain though as it as nearing 100F the last few days before I left Dallas. With the weather, I used today to try to make some headway into the pile of online training that is required before I start ophthalmology in couple weeks and managed to knock out the training for two of the four hospitals.

2 comments:

Leslie Hutchins said...

Wish you the best on this upcoming year. Tell Joe hello for me next time you see him.

grumpyvet said...

What's a cross cover page? And, I'm jealous you got to dictate...we still have to type our own.