Friday, January 26, 2007

Done with Neuro

It is nice to have neurology over and done with. I just wasn't to crazy about it. This year was the first year it was moved from a 4th year pass/fail to a 3rd year grade. The organization just was not on par with the rest of the year. I did get a good amount of exposure though; strokes, Parkinsons, Alzhiemers, Guillian-Barre, Miller-Fisher, Downs, meningitis, encephalitis, and tons of seizures. Reading about the different pathways in the nervous system was fun too. If I were to have to rank the rotations so far, it would probably be:

1) internal medicine- tough, but intereting and well organized
2) ob/gyn- chaos (especially if you don't know Spanish), but I guess that is how you have to learn it here
3) neurology- disorganized and most of time you are called in when things have gone south
4) psychiatry- well run rotation, but probably just not my thing

Still to come: family practice, pediatric, and surgery

Finishing a rotation is a great feeling, because that means you actually have the weekend off. 30 minutes this afternoon was spent running through a few practice tunes on the bagpipes. Fourteen months into it, I finally feel like I am making some progress. Who knows what my neighbors are thinking at this point, but I have to be prepared for my lesson tomorrow morning. A switch weekend also means you might get a chance to catch up with your classmates you haven't seen in a month, and there are always a few good stories to share. We get to see so many interesting things in the hospital and most of it is for the first time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

neuro isn't my fave either. i have had a pt several days in a row now with a new als diagnosis. she & her family are in complete denial, not recognizing it is a progressively fatal disease. it's been very challenging to care for her.
glad you are done with your rotation, though.. hope you enjoyed your weekend off! i'm glad you are sticken' with the bagpipes!

Bethany said...

Ever been to the Ntl. Library of Medicine? It was built during the Cold War (1962) with subterranean stacks and a collapsible roof to seal it off in case of nuclear attack. Something to keep in mind if Kim Jong-Il keeps being ornery.

TK said...

I can't say I ever have been there. Truth be told, I try to avoid libraries.

Bethany said...

ouch.